Mr Grayling told delegates that many city centres had become "battle zones" for police due to drink-fuelled violence and anti-social behaviour.Comes down to making the "Many" suffer for the follies of the "few".
Plans announced included:
- Raising the price of a four-pack of super strength lager by £1.33 and more than double the tax on super strength cider
- Increasing the price of large bottles of "alco-pops" by £1.50
- Banning supermarkets from selling alcohol at below cost price
- Introducing bigger fines for those caught selling to children. Repeat offenders could have their premises closed for several days.
- Making "late night, problem premises" pay more for their alcohol licences to help cover the cost of policing.
Sir John Stanley: You've lost my vote.
Read the whole bloody article here.