Google analytics

Thursday 26 August 2010

Cheap at half the price.

turbine3

 

Having given up on solar power I’ve built a wind turbine on my roof.

First I had to obtain the neccessary bits and pieces, so off to MugsRu again.

2kW wind turbine………..£2,400. (Mmmm. Cheaper than the solar panel).

Mast……………………………….£350

Battery…………………………..£80

Load controller………………£205

Grid tie inverter……………£1700

Solar antifreeze?………….£32

Total cost

*gets fag packet out again*

£4767.

This is going to save me a packet. But wait, it’s not going round. WTF.

Should have gone to specsavers and read the small print.

Your predicted wind speed for TN21 9HZ (suburban) is 2.68 metres per second.

Unfortunately a domestic small scale wind turbine would not be suitable for your property, as the average wind speed in your area is below 5 metres per second.

Oh Bugger.

 

Just had a thought. Should I try Nuclear next?

7 comments:

  1. You'll have to get out and puff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Unfortunately a domestic small scale wind turbine would not be suitable for your property, as the average wind speed in your area is below 5 metres per second."

    Pity they don't apply the same criteria for the big ones as few are ever turning round in my area. :)

    Donkey on a treadmill maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just sold my uncle's apartment and that has got a working waterwheel. I'm surprised it hasn't been utilised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In exceptionally high wind conditions, when the turbine is producing full power and is being stressed unnecessarily, the hinged tail causes the turbine to yaw slightly out of the direct wind. This slows the turbine, limiting stress, ensuring a longer life span and safe operation."

    Ha ha ... yeah right.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I think you should go nuclear, any chance you could rent a workshop under the houses of parliament to try it out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back of fag packet puts 5m/s at about 11 mph? About Force 3 constantly, I don't think that you are in any danger of getting that on average. If we did I could go sailing more often rather than rowing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All in all, anyone that goes down the road of wind or photovoltaic micro energy production, are complete fools or have too much money.

    If you look back through my posts you'll also see that I have debunked commercial offshore wind turbines as being expensive junk.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you like. I try to reply. Comments are not moderated. The author of this blog is not liable for any defamatory or illegal comments.