Google analytics

Monday 23 November 2009

Harry at CRU

Just been reading through HARRY_README.txt. I do feel sorry for what he had to put up with. Here's a selection of his comments:

Oh, sod it. It'll do. I don't think I can justify spending any longer on a dataset, the previous version of which was completely wrong (misnamed) and nobody noticed for five years.

Bear in mind that there is no working synthetic method for cloud, because Mark New lost the coefficients file and never found it again (despite searching on tape
archives at UEA) and never recreated it. This hasn't mattered too much, because
the synthetic cloud grids had not been discarded for 1901-95, and after 1995
sunshine data is used instead of cloud data anyway."


Wrong again! The saga continues.. actually I'm beginning to wonder if it'll still be going when I JOIN SAGA


Hmmm.. still some problems. In several areas, including a swathe of Russia, the mean values drop around 1991 - just when MCDW comes in.

Back.. think.. even more complicated. My head hurts. No, it actually does.


I really thought I was cracking this project. But every time, it ends up worse than before.

OH FUCK THIS. It's Sunday evening, I've worked all weekend, and just when I thought it was done I'm hitting yet another problem that's based on the hopeless state of our databases. There is no uniform data integrity, it's just a catalogue of issues that continues to grow as they're found.


Oh well, shit happens. Mind you I don't understand much of what he was doing except it seemed to be messing with incomplete data

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you like. I try to reply. Comments are not moderated. The author of this blog is not liable for any defamatory or illegal comments.